Friday 28 September 2012

What happens after the funeral?

Yesterday was my dads 70th birthday and also his first birthday since he pasted away in February.
This year so far has been tough and brought me many obstacles to overcome the majority being emotional. I was a daddy's girl, still am and always will be so his death hit me really hard. He was diagnosed with cancer two years before he passed away and lived a happy normal life until 5 months before he died. The cancer spread and took hold quickly. I carried on working full time and continued studying for my degree during this time. The guilty I felt each day going to work was unbearable, so 4 weeks before he died and when he was admitted to Severn Hospice I took time off work. During this time I kept things going and was the strength for the rest of the family.
After dad passed away I had a further two weeks off work and again was the strength for the family. I even spoke in church at dads funeral.
Once I had returned to work, I felt I had to return to 'normal' and the rest of the family were busy getting their own lives back to 'normal'.
But, what happens to close family and love ones after the funeral? For me I felt empty and withdrawn, my king was no longer here and I missed our daily chats (always about 7pm). For days and sometimes weeks I'd only talk to work colleagues or family (and that was because I had to). I even stopped going out with friends I had no interest in nothing whatsoever.
However after about 5 months something seemed to grab me from inside, it was like something was shaking me up to do something positive. This forced me to begin the road to recovery to begin being 'me' again, but only stronger and more appreciative of the world around me. I say begin as I always strive to be better and stronger and something inside keeps me focused. I no longer cry everyday but I don't beat myself up if I have a moment and breakdown, I'm told that's normal. I began seeing friends again and not just a few but all my friends. I started gaining an interest in life again, also things that were once important to me were seen for there trivia and began not to matter anymore. I have even started giving blood.
I've always had a strong mind so staying down for long was never going to be an option.
Before Dad passed away he asked me if I was to raise money for charity then to raise money for Severn hospice. I'd seen the hospice advertising many charity events so I looked into them and chose two. The first being a 10k midnight walk in May, I knew that'll be an easy challenge for me and was. The second would test me to the limit and mean facing my fear of heights. A 500ft 'come fly with me' zip wire off RAF Cosford museum building. I can still see the look on dads face when I told him I'd signed up to do it. He told me 'I was mad', I fear he maybe right! The zip wire takes place this Sunday 30th September. I'm nervous yet excited and also determined. I'm determined to do this and completely savour every moment of it. Dad won't be there to watch me in person but in spirit he'll be there and I will be making my dad proud of his little girl.
So, that is my experience of what happens after a funeral. I crumbled for a moment and then I fought back and after Sunday I'll be even stronger again. My only problem afterwards will be, what next? Next year my charity fundraising for the hospice must be bigger and push me further and harder. I have a few ideas in mind and what a physical and mental challenge 2013 could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment